Friday, August 12, 2016

Five for Friday

Well, this summer is flying by!
I thought I'd post an update of what we've been up to...

1. A couple of weeks ago, I drove to Winnipeg with the kids
to attend the Harry Potter Book Release Party at Assiniboine Park.

The party didn't start until 9pm, so we arrived in the afternoon
and went to the Millennium Library to attend the 1st Prairie's Comics Festival.



After supper with my mom, we headed to Assiniboine Park.
While the party didn't start until 9pm, we walked around a little.


A volunteer who was dressed as Madame Hooch suggested we get in line
to play Quidditch -- and we're glad she did!
We were the first group to play and had lots of fun!




The party was extremely well attended and the line ups for events were crazy after that.
We stood in line for 2.5 hours to see two owls and a snake at one booth.
We'd been hoping to do more things, but it was nuts!
After we saw the owls and snake, we decided to get in line to pick
up our copy of the new book.
Once midnight arrived, that line moved very quickly, which was good.
We made it home by 2:15am.


2. I've been enjoying playing slo-pitch this summer.
Well, playing.... I played two games and then I sprained by left wrist at practice,
so I volunteered to keep score for our team.
This was awesome -- I had the fun of helping out & cheering everyone on
without the nerves of worrying that I'd make an error on the field. ;)


We had a very large team (not everyone is pictured above),
so I thought since I didn't need to play, I'd free up that spot for someone
else who wanted to.

Our team was awesome!
While we didn't win any games, we had great spirit and supported
each other well.
It was very positive and fun!


We had our last game on Wednesday -- where the final score was 18 to 13
-- probably the best score of the season!
I'm not in uniform because we had a taekwondo test beforehand and I wasn't
sure if I would make it to the game or not. 
Thankfully, our test ended early and the game started later, 
so I could still keep score for most of it.


This is one of my best friends, Darlene.
We've been friends for 16 years now -- since Austin was 15 months old!


3. While I've been busy making cards this summer,
I was inspired yesterday to take out my Journaling Bible and create a page.


I used my PTI Guiding Lights stamp set and created a "rock" for it
using a MFT background stamp and two shades of grey ink.
I did the lettering by hand.


4. In other artistic pursuits, Sage had taken two afternoon art classes
at the art gallery in Winkler this summer.


The first was a watercolour class and the second, a sketch class.
She enjoyed them both immensely.

Jonah and Sage have also been busy making Perler bead creations.



5. And lastly, I'm sad because one of my favourite people from taekwondo is leaving.


This is Brandee.
She is also a third degree black belt and we have been training together
for almost eight years now.
It has been a privilege to see her grow into a beautiful, 
competent and confident young woman.
And now she's moving away for university. :(

I made her this card this week to let her know how much I'll miss her
and to wish her well on this new chapter of her life.


I used my PTI cover plate and diecut it from watercolour paper.
I also impressed it into a second piece of watercolour paper and painted
it in using ink pressed onto my acrylic block, water and a paintbrush.


I stamped the sentiment using PTI's Spring Woods.

Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

Happy Dance said...

Harry Potter, softball, kids, Bible journaling, cardmaking. Sounds like your summer is passing in the most wonderful way! Golden days, golden memories. I'm sure your friend will love the beautiful card you've made for her. And I'm sure she treasures the time you were able to spend together. Such pretty soft colors, and that die is amazing. It's really pretty. Just love it. Have a good weekend, too. It's a really important, special one, isn't it?!! (can you email me with your snail mail addy? thx) Bev

Shelly said...

Wow! Busy indeed but looks like everyone is having a blast and what great memories to have! :)
Beautiful card, too! Enjoy the rest of your summer, Leigh! Hugs

Megan Carroll said...

I love the lettering you did in your Bible, so pretty! I hope your wrist is feeling better! Great post!

Vikki H said...

Between you & Dawn M I'm inspired to begin decorating my Inspire Bible. So cool! and your card is gorgeous!

Kay Miller said...

Oh look at you all sporty playing ball and doing taekwondo! You are so awesome! Love seeing all of your photos and what you've been doing all summer! Tell Sage that I LOVE doing Perler beads! I have the minis now and they are so much fun! I need to post some of my projects :)

Kay Miller said...

Totally forgot to say how gorgeous your card is and your Bible journaling! Beautiful!!

Lisa Elton said...

Looks like all of you are having a wonderful summer!! Thanks for sharing with us Leigh. Your card is lovely. I like the soft buttery yellow!

Greta said...

Lots of happy times remembered in pictures! Oh what a gorgeous card--love the technique!

Celeste Goff said...

It looks like you and the kids are making the most of your summer! I love your beautiful card Leigh...that die cut is simply amazing!

Michelle said...

That was an awesome update! I love your lettering in your bible, Leigh, really beautiful. The card for your taekwondo friend is lovely. I'm sure she loved it.

Kim S said...

What a fun summer you are having!!! And what a good person you are to create this lovely card to send her off to university!