Tuesday, September 09, 2014

A Back to School Treat for Sage


Today, I have a back to school gift to share....

We were at Walmart last month and Sage wanted to pick out her back to school supplies.
She was quite disappointed to learn that she didn't need school supplies this year,
as her school had changed its policy: they were now requesting money
& her teacher would purchase the supplies for the class.

I decided to cheer her up by making her a little back to school gift.
So, after a trip to the dollar store to pick up a note book &
a search through our pencil/pens container,
where I found four recycled-from-tires pencils that we got for free at the fair last year,
I took these...


and, with some gorgeous & fun Chickaniddy Scrumptious patterned papers, I made these:


Supplies: Scrumptious 12x12 patterned paper (SC14OS02, SC14OS03, SC14OS05), clear stamps (Alphabet)

The Home Sweet Home patterned paper has a border of flowers along the bottom of it, 
so when I cut out my panel to fit the cover of my journal, 
I left the border intact and adhered it along the side of the journal. 
It was a great way to add a second pattern without adding another layer!

I used Modge Podge and adhesive to adhere the panel to the journal and 
then I coated the cover in another layer of Modge Podge to give it extra durability.

Using a tab die & my diecutting machine, I added some patterned paper tabs to the journal.


For the pencils, I cut 1" strips of patterned paper and used Modge Podge once again 
to adhere them to the pencils. 
I just love these patterns -- they make such fun pencils!

Once everything was dry, I tied it all together with some cotton twine and added a couple of tags layered together. The "for you" was stamped in versa mark using the Scrumptious alphabet stamps and heat embossed in white.


Sage was super excited to get this surprise gift from me -- it totally made her day!


Thanks for looking!

10 comments:

~amy~ said...

I absolutely adore the transformation!

merryf said...

Oh my gosh this is adorable. What a creative way to repurpose these. I'm sure she was so thrilled to have something new for school! And I love the idea of keeping the contrasting edge from those PP packs!

cm said...

Jazzed up pencils and notebook = perfect for your Sage! So glad to see her enjoying her back-to-school gift!!
~c

Miriam Prantner said...

What a great little surprise! Looks like she's very happy with it!

Deepti said...

Even I would enjoy a gift like this :) such a beautiful composition of colors and patterns !

Chriss Blagrave said...

Oh, cute! What a fun surprise.

Celeste Goff said...

So cute! I can see from the photo that she completely enjoys it!

Vikki H said...

WTG, Mom! your gift was perfect for Sage & inspired a few of us too~

Tonya Jastad said...

What a great surprise! :)

Joyce said...

What a fantastic gift from mom of the year. You really worked magic on those supplies.